Thursday, May 15, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival ~ Spring 2014 {large quilt category}

http://amyscreativeside.com/bloggers-quilt-festival/

It's time for another Blogger's Quilt Festival.  This is an online event hosted by Amy, once in the fall and once in the spring.  Looking back in my blog I was surprised to see that this will be the sixth time that I've participated!  It's a lot of fun to see the beautiful quilts that fellow bloggers choose to feature.

This time I am featuring my Roller Rink quilt.  This was not a pattern that I planned to make, more it was that I had a jelly roll of Comma by Zen Chic for Moda and then set out to find a pattern that made use of 2.5" strips.  The pattern is Elizabeth Hartman's book "Modern Patchwork", and honestly it was not one of my favourites in the book, but it fit the bill as far as making use of the jelly roll so I went ahead with it.  It has turned out to be a real favourite and is used daily in our house.






Quilt stats:
Finished size:  65" x 77"
Pattern:  Roller Rink, from Modern Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman
Fabric:  Comma by Zen Chic for Moda, Kona Steel, Kona Iron, tone on tone 'quilting blender' from Fabricland (backing), green print from Ooh La La by Henry Glass (binding)
Quilted by:  me, using Aurifil 50wt cotton thread #2610 in the pattern 'geometric overall' from "Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters"
Festival Category:  Large Quilt

19 comments:

Heather A said...

Like you, this pattern hasn't been one of my favourites in this book but your version of it will definitely make me go back and look at it again. This is a beautiful quilt using a fabric line I especially like. LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heater! Your quilt is fantastic! It's fun how sometimes the pattern we don't concider favourite can become that. Today when opening my computer I thought 'ah today starts the festival!' and you are the First one to post from my Bloglovin circle! Will be full weekend reading quilt post! x Teje
PS. I'm still quilting mine.

Annabella said...

I live it when you get an unexpected favourite and no wonder, it's a gorgeous quilt.

Debbie said...

Love this one and the quilting is absolutely perfect for it!

Mary said...

Sew nice that you got it done ALL on your Own! It's fun to get inspired and make something so beautiful. Great JOB on the quilting and posing the quilt for Pictures.

sonia said...

Love this quilt. Beautiful fabrics and quilting! good job!

tirane93 said...

i like the two-tone background against the vibrant colors and your choice of quilting pattern is spot on!

audrey said...

Love this! And the quilting is such a perfect match for the pattern.

Cille said...

It looks great... perfect pattern for your fabric :)

Patti said...

This is really a favourite of mine, with your fabric choices and quilting! Love it!

Kleep said...

This is so beautiful! I love the pattern, and that fabric is fabulous.

Katherine said...

Awesome quilt, Heather! Looks like this pattern and fabric were meant to be together - a beautiful combination (don't you love unexpected surprises like this? :o). Perfect quilting choice too!

Seams Sew Together said...

Love your choice of fabrics and the quilt is gorgeous!!

CitricSugar said...

Yay! I love this one, too! The optical illusion of the two greys makes me very happy.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the fabric choice is what takes it over the top. Love Brigitte's fabric lines. Your quilting choice was perfect, too!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the fabric choice is what takes it over the top. Love Brigitte's fabric lines. Your quilting choice was perfect, too!

nicole said...

Your quilting on this one is one of my fave's! You nailed it! Just perfect with the quilt pattern and fabrics. Love it!

the zen quilter said...

Man I love those fabrics - great pattern choice for them, and beautiful work!

Sarah said...

Love your photo looking up the quilts face. The quilt looks great made up in these fabrics.